Wednesday, October 08, 2008

I'm Disgusted

The current political campaign is obnoxious (both Republican and Democrat candidates are telling lies, distorting records -- see factcheck.org for the 2nd debate -- and happily). I cannot vote for Senator Obama out of conscience, and I strongly disagree with his worldview about the role of government. Nothing in my gut is enthusiastic about McCain/Palin -- feels like a vote against Obama/Biden.

I strongly suspect that we're just at the beginning of the beginning on our fiscal challenges. Unfunded entitlement obligations are in the trillions. Federal deficit spending has topped 10 trillion -- and that's when someone is counting Social Security dollars as if they're in a lock-box somewhere, which they aren't. If someone really knows how bad it is, they may not be telling us.

The sport of finger-pointing isn't getting us anywhere. Economically innocent people are getting hurt.

And we appear to be stuck in situations where effectively the same groups of people who made decisions over several decades (sorry, JT, but not everything bad started with the Bush administration) to get us into these messes are the ones we have to rely upon to make things better. Politically viable solutions are likely to fall short.

Have you thought how appealing the AntiChrist figure could look as these circumstances go forward?

I'm disgusted. I'm disheartened.

I agree with my friend Scott: "Is this the best America can present for leadership?"

Now, having not yet contributed to making things better, I'm going to invest time praying.

No comments: