Saturday, October 11, 2008

Honest vs. Candid

There are some expressions in American English which trouble me. For example, you'll hear people say, "To be honest with you..." or "If I'm really honest..."

They do not mean to imply they were lying earlier. Nor is actually possible to be partially honest. But that's what those words actually mean.

In my work I interact frequently with people for whom English is a 2nd or 3rd language. One of these individuals brought this odd use of the word "honest" to my attention. Relaying a previous conversation, she asked me, "Did he lie to me other times, before he said he is speaking honestly?"

So here's what you should say: "Candidly, ...." or "To be frank..."

That's what you really mean. Save the word "honesty" for the important issues of truth and falsehood.

No comments: