Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Mentoring a Younger Guy

Most of you reading this should be mentoring a younger guy.

(Yes, I've heard all the excuses.)

It's good for you, it's great for them.  Number one excuse I hear that sounds half-way valid: "I wouldn't know what to say, or how to advise them.  I've made so many mistakes, who am I to mentor another?"  My responses for this:

First, you can rely upon the Holy Spirit to work.  Really, you can.  "Do not fear," is a command we need to remember.

Second, only men who've made mistakes are qualified to mentor others.  Perfect men aren't needed.

Third, being with him, investing time with him, conversation with him, is more important than you having "the right answers."  In the months and years to come the fact that you cared enough to be with him far outweighs any particular advise you have for him.

I suspect that while reading this a guy or two came to your mind.  Act on that -- call 'em, set up a time to get together. This kind of mentoring doesn't have to be a long-term thing ("we'll meet weekly for the next eighteen years...") at all.  Start with a coffee break together.  But get started.

No comments: