Wednesday, August 03, 2011

What Do Men Need to Be Reminded Of?

I recently overhead part of a grocery store conversation where two wives were swapping stories about how much they had to remind their husbands to get things done.

I'm grateful that my beloved reminds me of upcoming events, of projects that need my attention, of things which I should know about but tend to slip from my attention.  I need to keep working on my craft of active listening and remembering things.

Since Joshua needed to be told to be courageous five times in short order (see Joshua 1-3), and the prophets and Jesus didn't hesitate to repeat important information, I don't think it's a sin to need to be reminded.  (There is sin associated with ignoring what we should know and do.)

But hearing these ladies I began to wonder, "what are the important things that men need to be reminded of?"  

Here are some ideas:

Jesus is Lord, King, Master, Teacher, and Friend -- He will never leave or forsake you.
Dying is not the worst thing that can happen to you.
You are not your own, you were bought with a price.
Others need to come first.
Love your wife.
God has children, but no grandchildren.  Train your children accordingly.
You need the Gospel every day.
You need the God's Word every day.
Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid! You were made for dangerous things.
Fight for your family, and defend the weak and helpless in the Name of Jesus Christ.
Exhibit self-control in word, thought, and deed.  Gentleness is strength under control.
What do you have that you have not been given?  Use it for God's glory.
Speak the truth in love.  Be discerning, and call out evil for what it is.
God loves you right now, the real you, but loves you too much to leave you there. Let go of what lies behind and strive forward in the adventure God has for you.
Life is hard. God is good.

Other thoughts?

No comments: