Thursday, August 21, 2003

An acquaintance who did Santa-duty at malls and department stores some years to help pay for college has told me about his experiences. He grouped kids into a few categories:

1. The shy ones, who wouldn't say a word and would scoot off his lap as-soon-as-the-picture-was-done.
2. The kids who had lists. Sometimes long lists. Always very specific, usually very demanding.
3. The kids who pleaded with him, often with tears, with their requests. "Keep my parents from getting divorced." "Make my sister well, she's very sick." "Bring my dad home again, 'cause my mom needs him."

His heart ached for the third group, because as Santa Claus he was absolutely powerless to answer their requests.

I imagine our loving Father hears lots of prayer requests from people in the second and third groups. The second group want God to be like Santa Claus. The third group know they need the Lord Almighty.

May our prayers have weight as our hearts align with the desires of God.

No comments: