Friday, January 15, 2010

Risk to Create Ideas

We know that even good ideas remain only intriguing until we act on them. A Great idea minus execution equals neuron activity (and probably wasted mouth movements).

But you still need to have good and great ideas in the first place. I believe human imagination is what sets us apart from every other part of Earthly creation, a key aspect of how we're made in the image of God.

The best approach to creating good and great ideas is to generate LOTS of ideas, including bad ones, and then be discerning about what to act upon. This means taking risks.

I like this from Seth Godin:

"The problem is that you can't have good ideas unless you're willing to generate a lot of bad ones....

Someone asked me where I get all my good ideas, explaining that it takes him a month or two to come up with one and I seem to have more than that. I asked him how many bad ideas he has every month. He paused and said, "none."

And there, you see, is the problem."

No comments: