Sunday, October 11, 2009

Thinking Differently About Education


Education is by definition an inefficient process.

You should also be in education mode. My grandfather told me as a boy, "The day you stop learning is the day you die."

Our most fundamental problem is not that we lack teachers, but not enough people see themselves as students. A person who is in "learning mode" -- irrespective of age or prior experience -- discovers that every person and every situation functions as a teacher to the one who has "ears to hear."

Josh Kaufman outlines a completely different approach to earning an undergrad degree in "How to Obtain an Accredited Undergraduate Degree in 1 Year for $4,000." The idea here is basically to test out of classes by passing CLEP exams.

Check this out even if you're not looking for an improved option to obtaining a degree, because the lessons here underscore a critical capability for the 21st century: mastering new information and skills. The old paradigms for conveying knowledge are much more limited than the avenues available today.

I encourage you to think about systematic education on some front that interests you. Here are two examples of what I've done, so you see what I'm talking about:

1. In 2008 I tackled reading every book on the Personal MBA Reading List in less than one year as a project -- learned even more than I expected to, and I really enjoyed the challenge.

2. Earlier in 2009 I read through Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology. This helped sharpen my thinking about some areas, and gave me a better grounding for the teaching I do.

In past years I've invested focused time on learning about the neurobiology and psychology of learning, Judaic culture in Christ's time, persuasive writing, military strategy, etc.

So think about areas that you could learn more about, and how that will help you in the future. Make sure they interest you at some deep level, so you'll be able to stick with a learning plan. Then creatively think through how to tap into information sources (reading, audios, videos, in person connections), and make a commitment to follow-through. Remember: we tend to overestimate how much we can do in a day or a week, and vastly underestimate what we can accomplish in a year or five years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

eh.. really like this style!