Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Marks of a Spiritual Leader

I know many readers of this blog are pastors, lay leaders, and civic leaders. So I strongly encourage you to print off this article, "The Marks of a Spiritual Leader" , read it, mark it up, and reread it occasionally.

"Biblical spiritual leadership contains an inner circle and an outer circle. The inner circle of spiritual leadership is that sequence of events in the human soul that must happen if anyone is to get to first base in spiritual leadership. These are the absolute bare essentials. They are things that all Christians must attain in some degree, and when they are attained with high fervor and deep conviction they very often lead one into strong leadership. In the outer circle are qualities that characterize both spiritual and non-spiritual leaders."

When I reread this the other day I was struck by this passage (which apparently I didn't think was notable the last time I read it -- no notes or notations on my paper copy!):

"Leaders must be able to digest depression because they will eat plenty of it. There will be many days when the temptation is very strong to quit because of unappreciative people. Criticism is one of Satan's favorite weapons to try to get effective Christian leaders to throw in the towel. "

I heartily recommend the whole article to you.

No comments: