Monday, September 07, 2009

Getting Past Overwhelm


I wish I had recognized this problem sooner.

And I wish I had a better track record of getting past it.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. :-)

Here's the problem: I have so many things going on, and so many good ideas about what to do, and a long list of "should do's" and "must do's" that I'm unenthusiastic about that...I stall out, freeze up, and feel really, really tired. I feel overwhelmed. And far too often I don't do much of anything useful at that point.

Logically, with some perspective, I'm not at a danger point. These aren't major health issues, relationship crises, or disastrous money problems. My life is not in danger. (I should be overwhelmed by gratitude that I get to experience so many blessings!)

But at these moments it's difficult to think with dispassionate logic, but how I FEEL is foremost.

And I FEEL like a nap, followed by a fun movie accompanied by eating yummy-but-bad-for-me food, followed by bed so I can get a fresh start tomorrow. It's all about ME ME ME ME ME!

Some of you who know me might be quite surprised to hear about this, because my reputation is built on getting a lot of things done, quickly and well. I work efficiently in bursts!

Let me share the best antidotes I've found for this wrong response to ill-perceived overwhelm.

1. Take five deep breath and reconnect with God. This feeling of overwhelm doesn't leap to selfishness if I'm reminded of God's goodness, provision, and presence. The deep breaths helps calm my racing heart, which makes it easier to focus on Christ.

2. Write out a list of stuff to do. Getting it out of my head and on paper actually makes it easier to think logically and creatively about what needs to be done, and what opportunities exist to serve.
3. Tackle hard unpleasant tasks early (or when you're freshest). Those are the tasks that build your character, dad! Putting them in the rear-view mirror makes it easier to look forward.

4. Pick just one thing, a small thing, and get it done. Enjoy that satisfaction of crossing it off the list, and build momentum from there.

Now when I hit this state of overwhelm and might still need a 10 minute nap. But I don't need to keep going downhill into selfishness and lethargy. And knowing that helps a great deal, too!

I hope these shorten your learning curve. If you struggle with this, too, let's pray for one another.

No comments: