Thursday, July 02, 2009

Thinking Wisely

I've written a number of times on this blog that Christians should be the best thinkers on the planet. I remain committed to this view.

It doesn't take a genius to look around and realize that wise thinking is, well, rarer than it should be.

Let's first define wise thinking.

It's clear thinking based on a strong base of information. It's humble (we have limited perspective, unconscious biases, and are hampered by sin). Wise thinking is always consistent with a biblical worldview. Wise thinking is a lifelong craft. Wise thinking recognizes the problem within the problem, and comes up with solutions. Wise thinking builds people up and helps whole communities. Wise thinking leads to answers and actions which, under the authority of the Holy Spirit, honor our Lord.

Let me speak into your chest, men. Our failure to think wisely is killing our families and communities. It's not enough to rely upon a few "smart" people to think for you. God has called you to a larger, more noble calling than this!

So why don't we observe more wise thinking, especially in the Church?

First, it's hard work. It's easier not to think. It's easier to be apathetic. It's easier to seek out numbing entertainment. It's easier to make excuses (which are really lies we tell ourselves) such as "it's too complicated for anyone to understand."

Second, too few people have received decent training in how to think clearly and constructively (which can be done apart from a biblical worldview, but perhaps not wisely). Your enemies and those who want to have power and influence over you are not likely to help you learn to think clearly -- to be discerning about their schemes.

I do fault our education systems in part. But men, you and I are being held accountable for training our families and leading our wives. We can't develop wise thinkers by relying solely upon educating institutions.

Third, we're satisfied too easily with our status quo. We decide that we're good enough and don't need to push it. We tend to overrate our abilities. We're proud and stubborn and unwilling to learn.

Please understand, I'm preaching to myself as much as anyone, guys. I have a long way to go myself.

Tomorrow I'll start outlining some principles and practices for wise thinking. For today, will you join me in recommitting to the work required? Your children will thank you!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sit wondering how to comment on the truth. And this is the truth. I guess to keep it simple, I will say, well spoken. I am inspired. Thanks for sharing.