Friday, July 03, 2009

Practices for Wise Thinking -- Part I

Yesterday I defined wise thinking and outlined the reasons why it is all-too rare.

Today I'd like to start outlining practices for wise thinking. I can't go into enormous depth here, but want to inspire you into further investigation.

Principle #1: Ask Questions about Information Presented to You

When you hear a story, read a blog post or magazine article, or watch something on a newscast, learn to ask questions about the information presented to you.

Here are some questions you should be asking:

What is the quality and reputation and authority of this source?
What could be missing from this presentation (e.g., facts, alternative perspectives)?
Does the tone of the presentation tell me anything?
What part of the content are facts? What are inferences or presuppositions or speculation?
Who stands to benefit if I believe this information as it is presented?
What goals and objectives does the source have?
If I agree with what I've read, could it be because it fits my preconceived ideas?
If I disagree with what I've read, could it be because it fits my preconceived ideas?
Is the style of presentation affecting my understanding of the truth?
What other context information would be helpful to discern the truth?
Are there logic problems in the story?

You might ask other questions. (Comment if you have suggestions.) The point is to begin to think critically about what has been presented to you.

There are two benefits for you:

1) You'll be less likely to succumb to the hazards of swallowing whole untruths and lies.

2) You'll be sharpening your skill at discernment.

One more thing: don't be surprised if people resent your questioning and become defensive. The enemies of wise thinking don't want you to be discerning. Some people mistake your intent for truth to be an attack on them personally.

Please comment and let's sharpen one another.


More tomorrow!

No comments: