Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sharing on Politics

We're called to be Jesus-followers first, and everything else comes after. So, living in community, I need to work at keeping my brilliant and insightful and absolutely correct political views in check.

As you might surmise from that second sentence, I find this very difficult. I joke with my family that the primary reason we still subscribe to the local paper is so that I can get an aerobic workout reading it.

I believe you should carefully think through issues and develop convictions about the major issues, including the role of government. I do not believe that we should be "whatever" people; if anything, Christians should be the best thinkers on the planet! We're called to be discerning about good and evil, which requires careful observation and analysis.

We stand firm on our convictions, but they are not weapons for beating people. Paul instructs us to stand firm on doctrine, but instruct people with gentleness and patience (2 Tim 2:22-26) -- and this principle should apply to our political views as well.

Gordon MacDonald has written a nice article for Leadership magazine that explores the challenges of pastoring and political positions. While he and do not agree on some political views :-), such as the role of government in addressing poverty, I found his counsel helpful. He outlines a number of principles that I think preserve the right perspective of being a Jesus-follower first, and loving others in community, while acting on our convictions.

No comments: