Thursday, April 05, 2007

What Kind of Disciples?

Do you ever feel like you've had a "whack on the side of the head" experience?

That's how I felt during a lunch conversation earlier this week. I was excitedly explaining to a man in our church how we need to view all our programs and activities through the unifying lens of discipleship. His statement caught me:

"Glenn, we're making disciples. The question is, 'What kind of disciples?' "

I immediately thought about Jesus' harsh statements about the kind of disciples the Pharisees and teachers of the law produced (Matt 23:15) -- "twice as much a son of hell as you are."

So our church efforts are perfectly designed to produce the kind (and quantity) of disciples we're producing. Now I'm wrestling prayerfully, asking our Lord to direct us to make the best (right) kind of disciples in abundance.

No comments: