Tuesday, February 13, 2007

"Just Show Up"

John Stanford gives us good counsel in his recent AO post:

We heard a phrase recently that Win has been using: "Just show up". For example, one day I was to meet with someone over a difficult issue. I didn't know what I would say or how to handle the situation.

Win encouraged me by saying, "Just show up!" She pointed out that itwas God's business and that He would be working. I prayed for myselfand my friend, and then went in a relaxed mood, anticipating that the Holy Spirit would be in charge.

The results of encounters like this don't depend on my somehow saying the right words or acting in the right manner. It is the Holy Spirit, not me, helping the person and/or situation, working for good and giving wisdom.

Thank You, Lord, for this freeing thought, that serving and helping others depends on _Your_ presence, power, working as I "just show up".
John
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(c) 2007 J.L. StanfordJohn Stanford (stanford@iastate.edu), Pete Boysen(pboysen@iastate.edu)
Subscribe/Unsubscribe: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~ao/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: