Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Input Junkie vs. Wisdom & Understanding

I'm an input junkie. I read very fast, and voraciously. I'm devouring, collating, filtering, summarizing, forwarding, and cross-linking data all the time. I have to really work at meditating, focusing, reflecting -- because it's much easier to just go get more information!

Was I born at a wonderful time for an input junkie, or what? The amount of information available (irrespective of quality) is increasing at an ever faster rate. Some people are overwhelmed now, but I'm still jazzed.

Here's a helpful comment from Nicholas Carr that I'm choosing to reflect upon:

"Like me, you've probably sensed the same thing, in yourself and in others - the way the constant collection of information becomes an easy substitute for trying to achieve any kind of true understanding. It seems a form of laziness as much as anything else, a laziness that the internet both encourages and justifies. The web is "a hall of mirrors" that provides the illusion of thinking, Michael Gorman, the president of the American Library Association, tells Orlowski. "No one would tell you a student using Google today is producing work as good as they were 20 years ago using printed sources. Despite these amazing technical breakthroughs, these technologies haven't added to human wellbeing."

No comments: