Friday, April 14, 2006

Easter Creates Compelling Dividing Lines

The story of Christ's resurrection just doesn't let you waffle around the issues. Either it's true, or not. There's no reasonable middle ground. In fact, I believe God made certain that the "middle of the road" had no substance.

Years ago now a roommate gave me a little New Testament and challenged me to read it. "You have to answer two questions:
1. Who is Jesus?
2. What will you do about that?"

Middle grounders had better avoid the second question altogether.

I think a lot of criticism of Christianity by those who have some reasonable knowledge of the biblical account comes because people don't want to change. The resurrection story demands that you and I change; we can't ever be comfortable in "sin management" strategies again. So for many critics, it's much easier to spew venom than deal with their personal need for transformation.

No comments: