Friday, March 31, 2006

Joy in Fathering

Being a dad is a remarkable process for growth and influence. I think a lot of us get frustrated because we can't win at being a dad. Something in us would like it to be about winning, but it's not a competitive game with our kids.

Look at 3rd John verse 4: "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." Let's think about what John is saying here. (Yes, he's talking about about the Christians he's responsible for, not necessarily his physical children. But we dads are about discipling Christians, especially our own children.)

John, the "beloved disciple", knows about suffering, and about joy. No greater joy? Wow!

John does not say, "I have not greater profit" or "I have no greater happiness" or "I've never been given grief by my children."

Note the active, present tense -- 'have' and 'are walking.' This is not joy from past tense work, but current assessment.

Walking is not wandering. John talks about "the" truth, not "a" truth. There is a specific path of discipleship.

What other thoughts do you have?

No comments: