Sunday, July 03, 2011

Family Worship

Even the guys I know who do pretty well with family devotions and Scripture/sermon discussions at meal times shudder when they're challenged to lead Family Worship times.

Family Worship times, oh my! Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

I highly recommend this article by Jerry Owen, Second Thoughts on Family Worship.

He helpfully points out that

  • family worship is not expressly commanded/required in the Bible (though Deut 6:6-9 is!) 
  • if done, family worship is not the most important spiritual thing you do 
  • family worship should be delightful for everyone

Owen writes with some humor and skill.  My favorite sentence: "There is a reason kids loved to be around Jesus, and it wasn’t because he was lecturing at length about the Torah or the Five Points of Calvinism."


Read the article, it's worth discussing with your wife. Second Thoughts on Family Worship.

No comments: