Monday, September 27, 2010

Did You Expect It Would Be Easy?

I think I've heard the phrase, "It's so hard" about twenty times in the past two weeks - sometimes in my head, mostly though from brothers and sisters struggling with issues. [Insert whiny voice here: "It's so hard."]

Let's learn to preach to ourselves when we need it, men.

You didn't seriously think it would always be easy, did you?

We're men. God gives us big assignments, big responsibilities, more-than-we-can-do-in-our-own-strength opportunities. We weren't bought at a price (see 1 Cor 6:19-20) for piddly little stuff, guys!

I spoke some time ago with a retired military man, a good man. He told me that he came very close to collapsing mentally and emotionally during boot camp. His DI got in his face, so close that spit hit him as he shouted, "G*** D**** it, you took an oath! Don't you quit on me now!" And that singular thought "I took an oath" got him through boot camp and many tough situations after that. I love that story!


Two steps:

1. Buck up and do it. Take it. Endure it. Rejoice in it! You're God's man and He is with you!
2. Link arms with a brother and encourage one another. "But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness." (Heb 3:13)

No comments: