Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Don't Ask Government Programs to Transform Lives

I hope that Christians will see government programs in proper perspective, and not put inappropriate hope in the ability of a government program to transform lives. I'm not opposed to all government programs, by the way, nor do I believe that private enterprise always has the answers to every civic problem. My concern is when Christians think more highly of government programs than they ought.

Star Parker has a nice column about the popular movie "Blind Side" -- underscoring individual love, personal responsibility, and the grace of God expressed to a homeless 15 year old through a Christian couple. She correctly points out that all the solutions that worked in this story are in stark contrast to typical government program efforts.

(Hey, if you've seen this movie, let me know what you thought of it.)


No comments: