Sunday, January 04, 2009

Athiest: Africa Needs God

Check out Matthew Paris' remarkable column, "As an Athiest, I Truly Believe Africa Needs God." He testifies to the effectiveness and impact of Christian mission work vs. the secular NGOs and government efforts.

"But travelling in Malawi refreshed another belief, too: one I've been trying to banish all my life, but an observation I've been unable to avoid since my African childhood. It confounds my ideological beliefs, stubbornly refuses to fit my world view, and has embarrassed my growing belief that there is no God.
Now a confirmed atheist, I've become convinced of the enormous contribution that Christian evangelism makes in Africa: sharply distinct from the work of secular NGOs, government projects and international aid efforts. These alone will not do. Education and training alone will not do. In Africa Christianity changes people's hearts. It brings a spiritual transformation. The rebirth is real. The change is good. "

The whole article is worth reading.

Question for us to answer: do the athiests observing the community impact of our lives, and our families, concur with the transforming change -- and call it good?

No comments: