Friday, January 25, 2008

This Is About You

Fun Quote: "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." -- Oscar Wilde

There's certainly truth in that. You and I are truly unique creations! But there's a question implied here: "Who am I?"

When I was a teenager in the 70's I read a lot about "finding yourself." My teachers encouraged us to "find your true self." I used to imagine epic journeys through many adventures to "find myself."

I was 22 when I first really began to grasp that Jesus Christ had found me, and was telling me who I am. I didn't need to find myself. That insight (which is from God through His Word) is partly why I love the Casting Crown's song, "Who Am I." Here are part of the lyrics -- watch for the line "you told me who I am" :

I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapor in the wind
Still You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am
I am Yours, I am Yours

No comments: