Thursday, January 27, 2005

Defeating Overwhelm

I'm susceptible to being overwhelmed with too many things going on, and then I don't get much of anything accomplished. Therefore I was immediately hooked by the title of Stever Robbins HBS article "Defeating Overwhelm."

If you only have a horizontal, humanistic viewpoint, it's a great article. I agree that the Getting Things Done methodology is very powerful, and I recommend it others. I completely agree with the author on a few other observations, including:
  • quality multitasking is a myth -- most worthwhile things require more than a few moments of sustained attention
  • technological advances and better organization methods result in temporary savings followed by increased expectations
  • it's helpful to decide how much is "enough" and be selective in our information input
But as a Christian, working to be transformed in the attitude of my mind (Eph 4:23), understanding that the redemptive power of Christ transforms all my work and my relationships, how should I respond to "overwhelm" ? I cannot follow Robbins advice to stop caring, or to "take control of your own life."

Here are some reminders that may help us:

We are not our own, but were bought at a price. We are under authority of the Commander-in-Chief of the universe.
We have been called to minister in the great Name of Jesus , so why should we deal with lesser things?
We must let God define lesser things. Serving others, laying down your life for others, being a giver rather than a taker -- let us be imitators of God in these matters.
Our Lord establishes rhythms of work and rest that are good for us.
We are commanded to walk with Christ, not crawl or run. Walking allows breath for ongoing conversation with Him.

Your thoughts welcomed.

No comments: