Friday, October 22, 2004

Two types of accountability partners

I strongly believe that every Christian man needs accountability partners. We should be very close to our spouses, but these dear women cannot be our only accountability -- our role is to be God's minister to them.

In the past few years I've set up two types of accountability partners.

The first is to guard against the downside. I have one brother whom I meet on these issues of sexual purity, time in the Word, serving our families, matters of integrity at work. We have very specific lists to check one another.

The second is to encourage to reach more for Christ. For me, this is a small number of men who are asking questions about what God is teaching me, my teaching ministry, and encouraging me to keep working towards excellence. I don't need to go over basic danger issues with them, because I have this covered by another man.

The division between the two types of accountability is helpful. It would be a rare man who could cover all areas well. I share this in hopes you can benefit, also.

No comments: