Thursday, September 02, 2004

Nurturing New Grass

I wrote earlier about clearing out a large area under our pine trees. I planted grass seed on Sunday afternoon, and have been faithfully, prayerfully watering twice a day since. Tonight I spotted tiny green shoots for the first time!

There are a number of parallels to helping children or new believers in Christ.

I've been watering what appeared to be nothing but dirt for 5 days, with no sign of growth at all. Lots of water, consistently applied, twice a day, morning and evening. And I'll need to keep watering consistently for several weeks to come.

I'm fully cognizant that I cannot make grass grow. (1 Cor 3:6) I was humbled to realize that I've prayed more intently and passionately for this grass to sprout than I have for some young believers I'm working with.

The most new shoots occur where the ground is partly shaded; the fewest where the soil is exposed to the August sun all day. New sprouts need sun and warmth, but not too much. New believers need protection. Tender grass is easily withered.

May God help us and use us to nurture new grass. Amen!

No comments: