Friday, July 31, 2009

On Turning 47

I was born 47 years ago.

All kinds of significant things happened on July 31st, and I share a birthday with a number of interesting people. Of course over time more a few million people have been born on July 31st, so you'd expect some statistical trends working for you :-)

A lot has changed in the world in those years. For starters, there were about half as many people as there are today. The Soviet empire fell. The computing technology used to put men on the moon is less than what's inside today's disposable greeting cards that play music. There have been at least three rounds of "the end must be soon" thinking in the popular press.

I've changed a lot, too, with more transformation ahead. As my friend Lane says, "I could wish for a different life but not a better one." Even shallow reflection shows God's faithfulness every step along the way. I've been put on a grand adventure, following Jesus Christ.

I have twinges -- some large, some note -- about how I spent some of those years. Looking forward, I don't want to have any big regrets, and redeem the time given me for the glory of Jesus Christ.

No comments: