Sunday, January 13, 2008

Operating at the {Crumbling} Edge of Overwhelm

It seems that many days I'm operating at the edge of overwhelm -- so many problems and needs pulling at me that you have to fight the desire to abdicate, retreat, go to sleep, eat something I don't need to eat, watch a movie I've already seen 17 times, panic, or throw up. There's so much coming in that I can't seem to get traction on any of it. I can hold focus for a little while, but just a little while, and then I learn that more stuff was just added to "the list" while I was working on that one thing.

I need to be clear. I and my family are doing ok. Compared to many families we know, we're deeply blessed and have options. I'm not concerned about anyone starving or freezing to death. We're not facing off life-threatening illnesses. Let me give you some examples, so you know what I'm talking about.

Parenting teenagers. We have good kids, great kids, really -- but it's a growth opportunity for us all.

We have a number of transitions going on. One child will finish high school and start college this year. There's a new driver in our family. My mom will be moving from one state to another. Transitions represent an expensive phase of family life.

We need to figure out a car situation. True story -- one of our cars was totaled when it fell off the tow truck in December. The driver didn't chain it to the flat-bed truck. When he hit the brakes, the front end was crushed in when it slid forward and hit the cab. Then when he accelerated to "move it back into position," the back end and undercarriage were mangled when it slid completely off the rear of the truck. If I had a video, it would probably get a million hits on YouTube. Fortunately no one was hurt! Unfortunately, the car was worth much more to us than the book value.

We have many ministry opportunities with friends, coworkers, teaching and leading at our church, ministering to Bible teachers worldwide. There is much more opportunity pulling at us than we can accomplish.

We're trying to keep the house up. Laundry, dishes, bills, phone calls, and traipsing through the detritus of teenagers living in a house. There is a lot of work that I should do inside and outside, not only for maintenance, but to get ready for a lot of family visiting us this Spring and Summer. Those of you who know me know just how little I enjoy any of house and yard work.

There is a large stack of books, magazines, and articles that I'm "supposed" to read. I actually do want to read most of it. In fact, reading some of these would be preferable to other things on "the list." I have an ambitious study list (covenants, Isaiah, hermeneutics) this year.

But I've learned that Satan can win all too easily when I give into this sense of overwhelm. I think it's one of his favorite tactics to "ice" me into inaction. "Let's just give Glenn about 6 things more than he thinks he could possibly handle, and he won't do anything useful at all."

So what's my recipe for backing away from the crumbling edge of overwhelm?

First, settle down. Breathe in and out a few times. Focus back on Jesus and His wonderful promises. I'm not alone in this. I need to recover the godly perspective that I am blessed.

Second, recognize the selfish desires for what they are -- sinful. Repent as necessary.

Third, act on the answer to the question: "What's consistent with Christ in me, at this moment?"

Staying in the Bible regularly helps a lot!

No comments: