Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Books I Re-Read

I recently mentioned that some books are on my "re-read regularly" list, because they are so influential and deep that I continue to gain wisdom and insight from them over a period of years.

Here are some of those books (in no particular order) which I heartily recommend to you:
  • Spiritual Leadership (J. Oswald Sanders)
  • Life Together (Dietrich Bonhoeffer)
  • In Search of Guidance (Dallas Willard)
  • A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life (William Law)
  • Celebration of Discipline (Richard Foster)
  • Knowing God (J. Packer)
  • With Christ in the School of Prayer (Andrew Murray)
  • The Pursuit of God (A. W. Tozer)
  • Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices (Thomas Brooks)
  • Thoughts for Young Men (J. C. Ryle)
I honestly don't read a lot of fiction, but I do have two titles on my re-read list:
  • The Lord of the Rings (J.R.R.Tolkien). I've read this every year since 1978.
  • The Chronicles of Narnia (C.S. Lewis). Great messages for children of all ages!
What's on your list?

2 comments:

Kevin N said...

Your list and my list have a lot of overlap: Knowing God, Life Together, The Pursuit of God, The Lord of the Rings, and The Chronicles of Narnia. I hope to read them all again soon.

A few more of my re-readable favorites: Pilgrim's Progress (Bunyan, I cheat and read a modernized version), Screwtape Letters (Lewis), and The Great Divorce (Lewis).

Some days, all my brain can handle is Go Dog Go.

Glenn said...

Kevin, thanks for your list! Go Dog Go was my *favorite* book for a while. I can still see the great pictures in my mind :-) and hear my mom's voice reading it to me.

The Great Divorce is one of the Lewis books that more people should read. Excellent.

Be bold, be gentle, bro!