Thursday, August 17, 2006

Deciding What to Do Now

It's pretty easy to fall into whiny, complaining, "I'm tired, I'm overwhelmed, I'd rather just watch a sit-com, it's too big a problem" mode, isn't it.

I liked what David Maister recently wrote:

"You here a lot of people saying things like these:

We’re too busy doing the wrong things to have time to do the right things
We've got so many of the wrong people in the key positions that we can't get the right people appointed
We got too may of the bad clients to serve that we don't have the time to get the good clients
We've been known as people who do X for so long, that no-one will believe that we now do Y
I'm stuck doing stuff I hate but I can't afford to quit
He / She's never going to change, so why bother?

When I do hear such phrases, I'm reminded of this:"The past has a vote, not a veto." - Rabbi Mordechai Kaplan, Born in Lithuania in 1880s

* * * *
"But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (Php 3:13-14)

Let's not let the past have a veto, men. Make decisions today about moving forward, and how. This is how we lead ourselves, our families, our churches, everywhere.

No comments: