Saturday, May 27, 2006

A Troubling Symptom

American culture is rapidly losing the discipline of punctuality. I think this is a symptom of the real issues of self-focus, and lack of respect for other people's time. As a culture we are so affluent that time is the most precious commodity.

I've told a few Sunday School classes that I'm quick to make judgment on people who are consistently late to worship services. I keep thinking things like "If it was the President, they'd be here early. If it was a movie they looked forward to seeing, they'd be here on time. Shouldn't we treat the Lord Almighty with even more respect?"

Should I judge them for this? No. Who am I that I should judge my Master's servants?

Is punctuality a discipline that I believe should be promoted, and encouraged? Absolutely.

No comments: