Tuesday, November 22, 2005


Flat Tax?

I recommend Flat Tax Revolution. It's a straightforward read, plenty of detail.

Forbes does a great job outlining the "hidden" impacts that the current tax system makes, and gives excellent reasoning why a national sales tax would not be nearly as effective.

I'm an advocate of the flat tax strategy, but I'm not sure I agree with the exact formulation Forbes proposes here. (And I'm still scratching my head wondering how people come up with the rate -- 13% for some, 17% for Forbes. If 10% works as a tithe, why does the federal government need more?)

So part of the reason I recommend this book is because it gives you additional details and insights so you can start wrestling with it. We're Christians, and we should be the best thinkers on the planet -- in the Church we have the mind of Christ.

It's too bad that so many people will be put off the concept because a "super wealthy" guy like Steve Forbes is promoting it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

uh. nice )