Sunday, September 18, 2005

Does God Hate New Orleans and Biloxi?

Doug Giles, as usual, has some wit and wisdom in his latest column recommending people be careful about attributing Katrina to God's payback for sin.

"So, why did New Orleans and Biloxi get socked? I’m not going to jump out there and speak for God (principally, because He hasn’t spoken to me since I went to that Celion Dion concert in Vegas four years ago), but here’s my best guess: if you build a big city below sea level in the middle of hurricane highway then the chances are you’re eventually going to take a hit. It doesn’t mean God hates you. It just means there is a cost to living on the coast. Now, if New Orleans, Biloxi or Miami gets hit six more times between September and October and continues to get hit several times each year over the next eight summers, then I would say God’s probably annoyed with them. "

Read the whole thing, it's good.

No comments: