Saturday, August 28, 2004

Kill the root

For years I've periodically trimmed back some woody weeds in our backyard. I'd just weedwack 'em down to the dirt, and they'd always grow back. The stems never got very big, and just a few leaves would show.

This weekend I ripped out a large area under the pine trees in our backyard. My intent is to get grass growing under the trees again. So I needed to root out all these woody plants completely, so I can prepare the soil for planting the grass.

I was stunned to find out that many of those "little" weeds had deep and thick roots. In a couple instances, I found 2" thick roots supporting a spindly stem and 2 leaves!

It occurs to me that many of us might find a parallel with certain sins in our life. We wack 'em down, and they never look like much. To all outward appearance, we've got it under the control. But we haven't killed the root. The root just gets bigger and bigger, continuing to support the sin. We need to kill the root, men! And how do we do that? Well, we don't. Jesus runs that project!

No comments: