Thursday, February 12, 2004

Seeing people in airports

I spent a fair amount of time this week in four different airports. Waiting. Waiting some more.

I tried to redeem the time by asking God to help me see the people around me the way He sees them. With eyes of faith and confidence in the Holy Spirit, I prayed for as many people as I could. Initially I had a lot of compassion -- just looking at eyes and posture and facial expressions, MANY of these men and women were hurting. Lonely. Fearful.

But of course my compassion ran dry quickly. There were so many! They were obviously needy. I can't possibly know how to pray for them and it was tiring.

I went back to the Lord several times and asked for more compassion, more strength. It all comes from Him anyway, right? I'm not generating this compassion de novo from my heart.

I've also enlarged my view of Jesus, who is interceding for every soul. (Rom 8:34) Such love! Such power! Thanks be to God.

No comments: